Thursday, August 15, 2013

A Parent Handout: 3 Key Ideas for Parents about the Common Core + 10 Strategies for Supporting the Common Core At Home

including 10 At-Home Strategies for Supporting the Common Core at Home

I had the please tonight of presenting "Information about the Common Core" to 100+ Lake Myra families...which I might say, was an awesome turn out...which tells me that parents really want to know how to support their children in the Common Core.  Instead of giving them the standards themselves or printing off pages and pages or 10-point font jargon, Kate Duty (my math counterpart) and I decided to just create a simple one-page, parent-friendly handout and tell them 3 (all good things come in sets of three...and easy to remember...that's research based by the way....that's why no one can remember their credit card number, four sets of four, no good...can you tell my ADD is kicking in??? sorry...) "key ideas and details" to help them to know about the Common Core.  We did not create a ppt (on purpose) and only had about 25 minutes before the PTA meeting was going to start their meeting in the gym.  So, we created this easy and simple sheet and used it as talking points, giving examples and anecdotal stories along the way of how it "used to be when we were in school" with stories about the way it is now.   You'll notice it's not specific to ELA or math, because it works with both, it is the over-arching big ideas and themes of the Common Core. We also gave parents 10 simple real-world ways they could support the Common Core at home and talked about how those ideas were the "real" work of homework, not busy work they're used to seeing in the 20th century. Overall, there were lots of parents shaking their heads in agreement, and many parents thanked us when it was over.  

Grab the hand-out for yourself HERE, and feel free to use it in your classroom, with your team, in your school or in your district. Enjoy!

The hyperlinked apple at the bottom of the page, directs them to the standards for parents, provided by the national PTA organization. 

If you are a teacher, be sure to check out all my teaching resources that support the teaching of critical thinking in my TpT store...so important and vital for the future of single one of our students.


Happy Reading! -Jen 


Creative Commons License
3 Key Details for Parents about the Common Core by Jen Jones & Kate Duty is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for these resources! I'm printing them off and taking to my principal tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the free handout. This explains things perfectly and will be great to share with parents! Thank you for sharing it with us!

    Jordan
    Team V's Second Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the CC Parent Handout! This will definitely help the parents understand what Common Core is!

    ~Chelsea
    Fifth Grade Wit and
    Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. of course... Awesome! My grade level was just revamping our parent info night to include more CCSS - we will be sharing this :)
    THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen - you're the BESTEST! ThAnK YoU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely amazing! As parents ask questions and want to know whys to help - they need something that they can do that is simple and easy! This handout is perfect! This is absolutely amazing and I can't wait to share it with my colleagues in my grade level! :)

    Thank you so much for sharing,
    Amanda
    My Shoe String
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,
    I love this! Thanks so much! Is there a way to get the "10 At Home Strategies for Supporting Common Core" also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 10 at-home suggestions are at the bottom of the sheet. :-)

      Delete
  8. So great, Jen! I'll definitely be using this in my Open House Packet. I have to admit, I've watched you grow your blog and TPT the last year and you've been a great inspiration (and now following you on Bloglovin'!). Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A teacher at my school shared this document with us and we are going to give it to parents at parent/teacher conferences. Do you by chance have it in Spanish as well? This would be great to have for our Spanish-speaking parents.
    Thanks!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  10. cherriepittMay 03, 2014

    I am excited to use this next year! I also teach at a school with a large Spanish speaking population. If I provided you with the translation would you be willing to put it in the same format as the English document?

    Thanks

    smithd@monroe.wednet.edu

    ReplyDelete

Comment if you wish....