Thursday, May 31, 2012

Powerful Test-Taking Strategies


I realize that most traditional calendar schools are almost out, so I'm sorry if this doesn't work for you this year, but for those of you, like me, that teach at a year-round school, this should still work for Tracks 3 and 4.  This is a file I created last year to help students overcome some text anxiety about the EOG's.  It gives a comprehensive overview of 7 powerful strategies that will help students on the End-of-Grade Tests...or as we call them in North Carolina, the EOGs, and not for too much longer as next year is the last year for the EOGs only to be followed by whatever NC decides to adopt to assess the Common Core State Standards (as of yet, NC has not officially decided to adopt the national assessment...we'll see....)

If you know me or follow my blog, you know I'm not a fan of worksheets or pages and pages (or even one page for that matter) of test-prep materials, commercial or otherwise. However, like Lucy Calkins, I do believe in setting kids up for success and teaching them strategies to do their best and capture all they know on standardized tests. 

I created the original file in Notebook software for the Smartboard, and you can download that here if you'd rather have the notebook file (which you can manipulate and remix to suit your needs)....or you can download a pdf version below from my Slideshare account.  Feel free to share this with your students, their parents, your team or your school.

My Test Plan - Notebook File (you need Notebook software for Smartboard to open this)


If you're interested in reading more about what Lucy Calkins has to say about standardized testing and how to prepare kids for it, you can read more in her book called A Teacher's Guide to Standardized Testing: Knowledge is Power.

Happy Reading!
-Jen Jones

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! Half the battle is knowing how to take the test! I try and teach my firsties how to take tests all of the time to prepare them for I-Step here in Indiana. You can't start too soon!

    ReplyDelete

Comment if you wish....