Monday, October 31, 2011

Kathi Goes to the Coaching Institute at Teacher's College

Lucy Calkins & Kathi.TC Manning Chapel. NYC.TCRWP Coaching Institute.10.24.11
I'm so thrilled and excited for my best teacher friend in the world, Kathi Zotovich, who just got back from a whirlwind 12-hour days & 2-hour (homework) nights Coaching Institute with Lucy Calkins at The Teacher's College in NYC. Back in 1993, I began my first year teaching at Del Mar Elementary in Morro Bay, CA, and Kathi was my mentor and teaching partner.  Over the last eighteen years, through school, state and position moves,  we have remained the closest of friends and teaching colleagues.  I'm so proud of her and even more excited that San Luis Coastal Unified School District finally recognized her as a integral force for changing the way they literacy instruction is delivered and assessed in her county...Kathi, you rock! It has taken you many years to prove it, but you have single handedly brought SLCUSD into the research base and best (literacy) practices of the 21st century! Finally, it is you, driving the literacy ship of your distict, congratulations! What an awesome position to be in...you are still my mentor!  Thank you for sharing your TCRWP pictures with me....here are just a few from her week, taken at PS 199 in Queens.

   












Thanks Kathi, and PS 199Q for sharing! 

5 comments:

  1. I was able to go to TC last summer for the Writing Institute and it was amazing! I am thinking about writing a proposal for ECU's Mary Lois Staton conference to share some of what I've learned. Have you been? It is mainly reading but when I went a few years back they had some writing sessions, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE lucy & TC! I am a new follower! LOve your blog I stumbled upon it while on pinterest! stop by teachingfashionista.blogspot.com!
    Thanks for all of the great anchor chart ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness - I am so happy to have found you. I used to check out your old website (can't remember the name of it) and watched your guided reading group lessons and actually TOOK NOTES....lol. Hope you come around soon!!!!

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your great blog via Pinterest. When I scrolled down and saw the pic of Kathi and LC I went, "Hey, she was in my group!" I was JUST with Kathi at the coaching institute, and we were in the same group at P.S. 199 in Sunnyside. It was such a fantastic experience! Small world, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! This is great! I'd really like to read the one called "How do you hook your readers" but it's too small... can I see it bigger somehow? Just clicking on it didn't do it.

    ReplyDelete

Comment if you wish....