Thursday, March 29, 2012

Online Sources for Informational Text


A big shout-out to my friend and colleague, Dawn Reynolds, for snagging some great sites as sources of short web-based articles for kids.  Last year, Dawn and I collaborated on a reciprocal teaching reading project, we have been scouring the Internet to find short articles (mostly non-fiction) to practice the reciprocal teaching strategies.  Once we find a great short article (preferrably related to the science and social studies content) we use http://www.joliprint.com/ to convert the web-based article into a pdf document (and get rid of the web junk on the left and right of the webpage. 

  Here are some other great sources for finding informational text online:



















The Internet Public Library (newspapers & magazines)



Newseum (6-12)


Newsmap - Visual News (like Wordle for news) (6-12)

http://newsmap.jp/







Follow on Bloglovin

11 comments:

  1. AWESOME Sites! Many thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shared this on my blog. Which happens to be NOTHING like yours.. yours is awesome. I don't even know how many people read mine. ANYWAY!! I thought it was a great resource and one I wanted to keep!
    Happy Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I've been looking for resources for informational text :) I'm looking forward to trying out the PDF converter (www.joliprint.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am creating a non-fiction reading/writing project for 6th-12th graders. After copying the URL for Kelly Gallagher's site and the NY Times Learning Network, I came across yours. What a FANTASTIC resource. I am going to add some of the age-appropriate sites you include here, if you don't mind. Thank you for doing the research. Wonderful blog!
    Connie
    teachitwrite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. I linked to your post from my blog in a post about informational text resources. The one thing I've noticed is that joliprint.com is no longer in service. I found http://www.web2pdfconvert.com/ works pretty well in place of it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    Do you think I would be able to do this with first graders?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all of these great links! I appreciate you sharing all of this and saving me so much time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much! I can't wait to start checking out all of these resources. I feel like I've hit the jackpot by reading this post! I'm a blogging newbie, so I don't have many followers yet... but I'll be directing my followers to your blog for sure!

    :) Kelli Wise
    www.writenowschoolsisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You teach students? That's really great!
    You are a perfect source of inspiration for many of us! Thank you and keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome sites! I did a google search for Non-Fiction Websites for Kids and found your blog. I am also from NC! I teach 4th grade in West Jefferson (Ashe County) in the upper northwestern part of NC. I regularly check my state ranking on TPT, and you are always ranked as the #1 seller for NC! Way to go!!! :) I'm usually anywhere from 28th to 30th. I also follow you on TPT and FB! Love your blog! I'm your newest follower on BlogLovin! :)

    Kim (For the Love of Teaching)

    Check out my store and FB page when you get a chance!
    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Kim-Miller-24
    https://www.facebook.com/4theloveofteaching

    ReplyDelete

Comment if you wish....